The serial that we now know as the Princeton Packet has encompassed a variety of publications: From 1838-1854, it was the Princeton Whig and Mercer County Advertiser. From 1854-1860, it was the Princeton Press which then merged into the Princeton Standard in 1861. From 1870-1872, it was the Princetonian. From 1873-1916, it was the Princeton Press, again. It became the Princeton Packet in 1916, shortened its name to the Packet in 1921, and reverted to the Princeton Packet in 1955. It merged with the Hopewell Herald in November 1955 to became the Princeton Packet and Hopewell Herald. In 1956, it once again reverted to the Princeton Packet.